It turns out that the gun on opening night in Dayton was on the fritz for a minute there, as Donnie Joseph was sitting in the low 90’s the next night. Junior Martinez was throwing 93-95 in Bowling Green last night according to Tom Nichols, the Dragons Radio Broadcaster. He got hit around a little bit, but the kid has a very good arm. If he can figure things out, he could be a good one.
Mark Serrano is currently on the DL in Lynchburg because of a tight lat muscle in his back. He threw a bullpen session this week though, so he shouldn’t be far away as long as it doesn’t act back up.
Corey Brinn has up some video from the Dragons win yesterday. Gregorius, Rodriguez, Means and Richburg all have videos up there.
C Trent has up some video of Chapman from his start in Toledo. Go check that out as well.
I added over 8 minutes of video to the subscriber Scouting Database today, as well as some additional scouting information. If you aren’t a subscriber, why not?
Jacob Johnson makes his debut tonight in Bowling Green. I will be listening live to see how he does as Dayton tries to push their record to 5-0.
Speaking of records, the minor league teams are a combined 13-3 this season. The Reds have done well as starters at the big league level, but they are being outdone by the guys in the minor leagues, who have a 7-1 record, 1.95 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 25 walks and 84 strikeouts in 78.33 innings. It is early, but that is very good to see. The one loss that the starters have came at the hands of Travis Wood, who didn’t allow an earned run and struck out 9 batters in 4 innings.
Rich, a reader here and over at Redleg Nation shared some photo’s and thoughts with both myself and Chad from his recent trip to the park to watch the Lynchburg Hillcats. Chad is on the ball and posted it a lot earlier today than I did (Chad has a real job that requires him to be up at a reasonable time, where as I generally am working on the website until 2 or 3am each night). The pictures are available over at RLN at the link above, but here were the impressions that Rich had after watching the guys play:
I thought that would share some pics and a little overview from my trip Lynchburg, VA.
– General Admission tickets $7.00
– Free Parking !!!
– Food; So-So (Food at 5 County/Carolina Is Very Good!!!)
– No Vendors running around the stands (I like that !!!)
– If you like beer; they sell it by the pitcher (I stuck to diet Pepsi)
– Much of the Concessions staff is college or high school students (extremely friendly and very polite!)
– Stadium; Nice & clean with great site lines throughout the park.
– Mascot “South Paw” is all over the place.
– They do lot’s of promos supporting the local colleges (Nice Touch)
Hillcats Players Impressions:
– Devin Mesoraco is a very good receiver and hits the ball hard! Strong arm, but a slow release! Blocks balls very well!
– Josh Fellhauer is a slick fielding outfielder and has a real nice swing. Could not see many holes in his swing!
– Cody Puckett hit a homerun, but he hit it high and into the wind and got blown out to dead center field
– Travis Webb has 3 good pitches, but I really liked his fastball mixed with his change up. Has a tendency to open up too much with his shoulder and hips. When he did, I knew he was going to throw a ball. But when he kept things closed he was pretty impressive! Obviously, he needs to be more consistent with his mechanics.
Thanks again Rich. It’s always good to hear first person reports on the guys that I don’t get to see nearly as much as I would like to.