Between now and the Draft, I will be doing draft related articles every Monday and Friday (Friday chats will be moving to Wednesday). Today I just wanted to break in the draft work with a preview of the draft.
The Reds will be drafting 12th overall in the 2010 draft. The last time they drafted this low was 2007 when they took Devin Mesoraco 15th overall. While there isn’t quite a Stephen Strasburg in this years draft, Bryce Harper is pretty close at least in terms of hype. Right now the 17 year old is hitting a robust .422/.516/.891 with 13 doubles, a triple and 15 HR’s in a wooden bat league with as many walks as strikeouts. He will not be around when the Reds pick.
Here are two references to use while preparing for the draft:
Here are the players between 7 and 17 on MLB Bonus Baby’s Top 100 talents, guys that will likely be within the Reds range when the go.
7. Karsten Whitson, RHP, Chipley HS (FL)
8. Christian Colon, SS, Cal State Fullerton
9. Dylan Covey, RHP, Maranatha HS (CA)
10. A.J. Cole, RHP, Oviedo HS (FL)
11. Manny Machado, SS, Brito Private HS (FL)
12. Alex Wimmers, RHP, Ohio State
13. Josh Sale, OF, Bishop Blanchet HS (WA)
14. Zack Cox, 3B, Arkansas
15. Jesse Hahn, RHP, Virginia Tech
16. Matt Harvey, RHP, North Carolina
17. Kevin Gausman, RHP, Grandview HS (CO)
There are some interesting names in that group. Starting on Friday I will start going through scouting reports on different guys. Does anyone really stand out at you from that group that you would like to have over the others?