The Reds brought the lumber on Monday afternoon with an 8-5 win over the Los Angeles Angels, but let’s start off by talking about the starting pitching.
Cody Reed tossed 3.0 shutout innings, allowing just two hits in the game. He didn’t walk a batter and the left hander had a strikeout. Reed also recorded six ground ball outs and broke three different bats in the game. Ground balls and breaking bats is a good way to be successful as a pitcher.
Jose Peraza must read the site. In the preview I noted that it would be nice to see him get on base and do some damage. Done. The shortstop went 2-4, including a double that he earned with his legs. He also stole two bases. C. Trent Rosecrans also notes that he made a nice play in the field.
Scott Schebler had a nice day at the plate. Like Peraza, he also had a 2-4 effort with a double. Unlike Peraza, he only stole one base. It was his second of the spring.
Layne Somsen threw 2.0 shutout innings out of the bullpen, allowing two hits and a walk to go along with two strikeouts. He’s now tossed 3.0 shutout innings this spring.
Here’s how the “B Game” on the backfields went earlier in the afternoon:
— Jamie Ramsey (@Jamieblog) March 7, 2016
Robert Stephenson got the start and was strong, allowing just one hit in 2.0 innings with two strikeouts. Sal Romano followed him with 2.0 innings of his own, allowing the lone run of the game on one hit.
Alex Blandino did all of the offensive damage for the Reds in the game. He had the only hit for the game (that last just 4.5 innings) and also drew a walk.
Here’s how the minor leaguers performed in the regular game against the Angels:
- Jose Peraza went 2-4 with a double, run and 2 steals.
- Chad Wallach went 0-1.
- Ray Chang went 1-1 with a double.
- Seth Mejias-Brean went 0-1.
- Brandon Dixon went 0-1.
- Yorman Rodriguez went 0-1.
- Scott Schebler went 2-4 with a double, steal, run and BI.
- Tyler Holt went 1-3.
- Juan Duran went 0-1.
- Calten Daal went 0-1.
- Cody Reed threw 3.0 shutout innings with a strikeout.
- Tim Adleman allowed 3 runs on 5 hits and a walk in an inning.
- Layne Somsen threw 2 shutout innings with a walk and 2 strikeouts.
- JC Ramirez allowed 2 runs with a walk and a strikeout in an inning of work.
- Dayan Diaz threw a perfect inning with a strikeout.