Louisville lost 2-1. Box Score
- Jose Peraza went 1-4 with a steal and a run.
- Jesse Winker went 1-3 with a walk.
- Brandon Allen went 1-3 with a walk.
- Chris Berset went 1-3.
- Cody Reed allowed a run in 8.0 innings with 8 strikeouts.
The match up of Top 50 prospect pitchers Cody Reed and Tyler Glasnow in Indianapolis was everything it was cracked up to be. Glasnow held the Bats scoreless through his 7.0 innings, walked just one batter and had 11 strikeouts. Cody Reed nearly matched him, allowing just one run (coming in the 8th inning) in 8.0 innings with eight strikeouts and no walks. The Bats scratched a run across the plate in the top of the 9th inning when Jose Peraza singled, stole second base, moved up to third on a sac bunt and scored on a wild pitch. The Indians weren’t going to let the game get to extra innings though as an infield single and a long double brought in the winning run in the bottom of the frame.
Pensacola lost 9-3. Box Score
- Beau Amaral went 1-3 with a walk and was hit by a pitch.
- Tony Renda went 3-5 with a double, steal and a run.
- Eric Jagielo went 1-3 with a run and 2 walks.
- Chad Wallach went 1-3 with a double and a walk.
- Kyle McMyne threw 2.0 shutout innings.
- Wandy Peralta threw a perfect inning of relief.
It was a rough night for Nick Travieso as Biloxi touched him up for seven runs, five of which were earned, in the first three innings of the game. The Blue Wahoos offense couldn’t make a comeback, scoring just three runs in the game. Wandy Peralta kept his strong start to the season going with a perfect frame of relief, lowering his ERA to 1.93 on the season.
Daytona won 8-2. Box Score
- Blake Trahan went 1-4 with 2 walks, a steal, a run and an RBI.
- Taylor Sparks went 2-5 with a double, home run (2), 2 runs and 2 RBI.
- Aristides Aquino went 1-4 with a walk, home run (6) and 2 RBI.
- Avain Rachal went 2-4 with a walk and a solo home run (4).
- Chad Tromp went 2-5 with a run.
- Garrett Boulware went 1-4 with a run and a walk.
- Jeff Gelalich went 2-4 with a walk and a run.
- Seth Varner allowed a run in 5.0 innings with a walk and 5 strikeouts.
- Evan Mitchell threw a perfect inning.
- Brennan Bernardino threw a shutout inning with a walk and 2 strikeouts.
- Jimmy Herget threw a shutout inning with 2 strikeouts.
Daytona jumped out to an early 2-0 lead when Blake Trahan led off the game with a walk and scored on a Taylor Sparks opposite field home run. The Tortugas rallied big time in the top of the 3rd inning when Sparks led off with a double and was followed by back-to-back homers by Aristides Aquino and Avain Rachal. Chad Tromp singled and two walks loaded the bases and three more runs would come across before the inning was complete and Daytona had an 8-0 lead. That was plenty to work with for Seth Varner, who allowed just one run in 5.0 innings before giving the game over to the bullpen who took care of things from there.
Dayton lost 7-1. Box Score
- Zack Shields went 1-3 with a walk and a run.
- Hector Vargas went 1-3.
- Shed Long went 1-4 with an RBI.
- Narciso Crook went 1-3 with a walk.
- Ed Charlton went 1-3 with a walk.
- Ariel Hernandez threw 2.0 shutout innings with 2 strikeouts.
Shed Long singled in Zack Shields to get the scoring underway in the top of the 3rd as the Dragons took a 1-0 lead. It wouldn’t last long as the Chiefs scored twice in the bottom of the inning. They would pad their lead in the 5th with three more runs, jumping out to a 5-1 lead and they never looked back.
5/8/16 Game Preview
|Team||1st half||2nd half||Time (EST)||Probable||Box Score||Listen Live||Watch Live|
Top 25 Daily Rundown (Based on Pre-Season Rankings)
|2||Jesse Winker||AAA||1-3, BB.|
|3||Nick Travieso||AA||2.1IP, 5H, 5ER, 3BB, 4K.|
|5||Cody Reed||AAA||8IP, 6H, 1ER, 0BB, 8K.|
|7||Jose Peraza||AAA||1-4, run, steal, 3K.|
|9||Alex Blandino||AA||1-5, 3K.|
|17||Taylor Sparks||A+||2-5, 2B, HR, 3K.|
|21||Eric Jagielo||AA||1-3, run, 2 BB.|
|22||Aristides Aquino||A+||1-4, BB, HR, 2 RBI, 3K.|
|23||Kyle Waldrop||AAA||0-2, BB, K.|