Louisville won 5-4. Box Score
- Jose Peraza went 3-5 with a double and 2 steals.
- Jesse Winker went 1-4 with a walk and a run.
- Jermaine Curtis went 1-3 with a walk, HBP, solo home run (1) and 3 runs.
- Brandon Allen went 2-4 with a walk, home run (2) and 2 RBI.
- Bryson Smith went 1-4 with a walk and 2 RBI.
- Josh Smith allowed a run in 5.0 innings with 2 walks and 6 strikeouts.
- Stephen Johnson threw 2.0 shutout innings with 2 strikeouts.
Indianapolis would break through in the 4th inning to take a 1-0 lead. It was the only run they would score off of Josh Smith in 5.0 innings before he handed the game to the bullpen. He left with a lead after the Bats scored twice in the top of the 6th when Jermaine Curtis was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning and Brandon Allen smacked a home run. Curtis would come up to the plate in the 7th and hit his first homer of the year, a solo shot that made it 3-1. In the top of the 9th Louisville would play add on once again as Jesse Winker, Brandon Allen and Jermaine Curtis all reached base to start the inning and Bryson Smith knocked in two runs on a single that made it 5-1. It would turn out they needed all of those runs as the Indians would score three runs in the bottom of the 9th, all of which were unearned before a Jumbo Diaz strikeout would end the game. Double header on Monday.
Pensacola won 5-0. Box Score
- Beau Amaral went 1-3 with a walk, triple and a run.
- Phillip Ervin went 1-4 with 2 steals (12) and 2 runs.
- Kyle Parker went 3-4 with a double, run and 2 RBI.
- Brandon Dixon went 2-3 with a double, walk, HR (2) and 3 RBI.
- Amir Garrett went 1-2 at the plate. He threw 6.0 shutout innings with 5 walks and 6 strikeouts on the mound.
- Alejandro Chacin threw 2.1 shutout innings with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts.
Penscola grabbed an early 1-0 lead when Phillip Ervin reached on a fielders choice, stole 2nd and scored on a single. It would eventually turn out to be the only run they would need as Amir Garrett tossed 6.0 shutout innings, lowering his ERA to 1.26 on the season. If you missed it, I wrote about his great start to the season on Saturday. The offense gave him more to work with though. Brandon Dixon hit a 2-run homer in the 3rd inning and newcomer Kyle Parker singled in another run in the 5th that made it 4-0. In the 8th inning Parker and Dixon both doubled to make it 5-0 and Alejandro Chacin finished the game out with 2.1 shutout frames to keep his ERA at 0.00 through 13.0 innings for the Blue Wahoos.
Daytona won 6-3. Box Score
- Blake Trahan went 1-5 with a triple, run and 3 RBI.
- Jeff Gelalich went 2-3 with a double, walk and was HBP.
- Blake Butler went 1-4 with a run.
- Avain Rachal went 2-4 with a steal and 2 runs.
- Garrett Boulware went 1-3 with a walk, run and an RBI.
- Jonathan Reynoso went 2-4 with a steal, a run and an RBI.
- Tejay Antone allowed 2 runs in 4.2 innings with 5 strikeouts.
- Greg Williams threw a perfect inning with 2 strikeouts.
- Jake Ehret threw 1.2 shutout innings with 2 strikeouts.
- Jimmy Herget threw a perfect inning with a strikeout.
Back-to-back singles for Blake Butler and Avain Rachal led off the 2nd inning for Daytona and they would both come around to score on a ground out and a single by Jonathan Reynoso to take a 2-0 lead. The lead would hold until the 5th inning with the Blue Jays would tie things up. After a scoreless 6th by both teams the Tortugas put the game away in the 7th when they loaded the bases with no outs and Blake Trahan tripled and scored himself on a throwing error, plating four runs and making it a 6-2 game. Dunedin would score a run in the bottom of the inning to make it 6-3, but that was as close as they would get.
Dayton had the day off.
5/9/16 Game Preview
|Team||1st half||2nd half||Time (EST)||Probable||Box Score||Listen Live||Watch Live|
Top 25 Daily Rundown (Based on Pre-Season Rankings)
|2||Jesse Winker||AAA||1-4, BB, run, K.|
|4||Amir Garrett||AA||6IP, 4H, 0ER, 5BB, 6K.|
|7||Jose Peraza||AAA||3-5, 2B, 2 steals.|
|8||Phillip Ervin||AA||1-4, 2 SB, 2 runs.|
|13||John Lamb||MLB||4IP, 2H, 1ER, 1BB, 3K.|
|17||Taylor Sparks||A+||0-4, 2K.|
|22||Aristides Aquino||A+||0-5, K.|