This is something new this year, but we’re going to call it Patreon Preview Monday. While I absolutely do make money from the advertisements on the site, the amount can fluctuate wildly, even if the same number of people show up each month. The support over on Patreon gives me a much better idea of what will be coming in.
Each morning throughout the season those who support the site through Patreon get an email with game notes, and a rundown of how the Top 25 prospects performed the night before. If that sounds like something that’s for you, check it out (click that orange Patreon banner just above this text). If not, well that’s alright, too. Here’s what was emailed to everyone for the games played on Sunday, and is similar to the kinds of things they get every day during the year. For those of you who are signed up already, the biggest of thanks.
The Bats lost 6-1 on Sunday afternoon, falling to 8-11 on the season. Box Score
- Cliff Pennington went 1-4 with a double and a run scored.
- DJ Peterson went 2-4. In 15 games this season with the Bats he’s hitting .326.
- Steve Selsky went 1-3 with an RBI.
- Tyler Goeddel went 1-3.
- Justin Nicolino allowed 3 runs in 5.0 innings. He didn’t walk anyone, but allowed 11 hits and had 3 strikeouts. He threw 93 pitches with 67 strikes, 1 ground out and he had 6 fly outs.
- Zack Weiss began the 7th inning and got the first two outs of the inning, but while facing the third batter he let a pitch go and immediately reacted that something didn’t feel right. The trainer and a coach walked out to check on him but the conversation didn’t last more than 5-10 seconds before Weiss walked to the clubhouse. For now, I’m not going to speculate on anything and will have an update when available.
- Jimmy Herget took over for Weiss and pitched the final 1.1 innings for the Bats. He allowed an earned run for the first time on the season, adding 3 strikeouts with 1 walk in his outing.
- Nick Senzel was initially in the lineup, but was scratched about 20 minutes before the game began. John Wagner of The Toledo Blade reported that he was not 100%, which is why he was scratched from the lineup and is considered day-to-day.
Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The Blue Wahoos lost 4-3 on Sunday afternoon, falling to 10-14 on the year. Box Score
- Brian O’Grady went 2-4 with 2 home runs and 3 RBI. He didn’t homer on Saturday, but had homered the previous two days and now has 4 home runs in the last 4 games. He’s accounted for 4 of the Blue Wahoos 13 home runs on the year.
- Luis Gonzalez went 1-4 with a double.
- Aristides Aquino went 2-4.
- Taylor Sparks went 1-3 with a run scored.
- Jesus Reyes allowed 3 runs in 7.0 innings with a walk and 5 strikeouts. He threw 85 pitches with 57 strikes and had 9 ground outs with just 2 fly outs.
The Tortugas lost 5-4 in 11 innings on Sunday afternoon, falling to 16-8 on the year. Box Score
- TJ Friedl went 3-5 with 2 runs scored. He extended his hitting streak to 7 games and is 12-30 in that stretch.
- Taylor Trammell went 1-4 with a walk and a run scored.
- Mitch Nay went 2-4 with a walk, double, and he had 2 RBI. He’s hitting .352 with 8 doubles and 5 home runs this season.
- Ibandel Isabel went 1-3 with a walk.
- Ryan Olson allowed 1 earned run (2 total) in 6.0 innings on 6 hits and a hit batter. He walked no on and he struck out 8 batters. The outing lowered his ERA to 2.17 on the season to go with 7 walks and 30 strikeouts in 29.0 innings pitched through 5 starts.
- Nick Howard threw 1.2 shutout innings with 2 walks.
- Ryan Hendrix threw 1.1 perfect innings. He lowered his ERA to 2.25 this year in 13.0 innings.
- Both teams would take advantage of the new extra-innings rule where a runner starts on second base and score a single run in the 10th. Daytona would also plate that runner in the top of the 11th. But Fort Myers did them one better with a 2-run walk-off homer in the bottom of the frame.
The Dragons won 4-3 on Sunday afternoon, moving to 10-11 on the season. Box Score
- Jose Garcia went 1-4 with a run scored.
- Michael Beltre keeps swinging a hot bat. He went 2-4 with a run scored. He’s hitting .325 on the season in 12 games since joining the team from extended spring training two weeks ago.
- Stuart Fairchild went 2-3 with a triple, 2 runs scored, and he had 2 RBI. His triple wound up being a “little league inside the park home run” as the throw to third got away and Fairchild took home on the play.
- Miles Gordon went 1-3.
- Hendrik Clementina went 1-3 with an RBI. He’s hitting .341 this season for the Dragons.
- Packy Naughton allowed 3 runs in 6.0 innings with a walk and 8 strikeouts. He allowed 8 hits and he hit a batter while throwing 81 pitches with 58 strikes. He’s now got 8 walks and 26 strikeouts this season in 27.1 innings with a 4.28 ERA.
- Cory Thompson walked 2 batters in 2.0 hitless innings. He kept his ERA perfect on the season in 10.2 innings on the year.
- John Ghyzel threw a perfect 9th inning with 3 strikeouts.
Top 25 Prospect Rundown
|3||Tyler Mahle||MLB||6.1IP, 4H, 1ER, 2BB, 7K.|
|4||Taylor Trammell||A+||1-4, run, BB, K.|
|5||Jesse Winker||MLB||2-5, 2B, run, RBI, K.|
|12||Jose Garcia||A||1-4, run.|
|13||Stuart Fairchild||A||2-3, 3B, 2 runs, 2 RBI.|
|17||Alex Blandino||MLB||1-5, 2 runs.|
|18||Aristides Aquino||AA||2-4, K.|
|19||Jimmy Herget||AAA||1.1IP, 2H, 1ER, 1BB, 3K.|
|20||Miguel Hernandez||Ext ST||DNP|
|24||Jesus Reyes||AA||7IP, 5H, 3ER, 1BB, 5K.|
|25||Zack Weiss||AAA||0.2IP, 0H, 0R. Left with injury.|
4/30 Game Preview
|Team||1st half||2nd half||Time (ET)||Probable||Box Score||Listen Live||Watch Live|