Nick Lodolo had to leave his start early in Chattanooga with what appeared to be a blister issue, Michael De Leon saved the day for the Lookouts twice, Jacob Hurtubise and Francisco Urbaez had big days in Dayton, and Daytona walked 18 batters…..
We’re going to try something new this year and make every Sunday a free Patreon post preview. If you want to get this in your inbox every day during the season, along with some other fun perks along the way, think about signing up for a few bucks a month to support the work that goes into all of this. You can get more information here.
The Louisville Bats lost 10-0. Box Score
- Brantley Bell went 1-4.
- Dwight Smith Jr. went 1-4.
- Chris Okey went 1-3.
- Hector Perez threw 2.0 hitless innings with a walk and 2 strikeouts.
- Phillip Diehl was charged with an unearned run in an inning with a strikeout.
- Art Warren threw a shutout inning.
The Bats only had three hits on the night. Ashton Goudeau got the start in his first appearance since returning from a brief stint in the big leagues with Cincinnati. It didn’t go well as he allowed 4 runs in 3.0 innings on 6 hits and a walk.
The Chattanooga Lookouts won 7-6 in 11. Box Score
- Alejo Lopez went 1-4, was hit by a pitch, walked, and he scored a run.
- Michael De Leon went 4-6 with a home run (3) and 3 RBI.
- Brian Rey went 1-4 with a walk, run, and he had an RBI.
- Yoel Yanqui went 3-5 with a double, run, and he had an RBI.
- Wilson Garcia went 1-3 with an RBI.
- Lorenzo Cedrola went 1-5 with an RBI.
- Nick Lodolo allowed 2 runs in 4.0 innings on 3 hits and he had 6 strikeouts.
- Ryan Lillie allowed 1 earned in 2.0 innings with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts.
- JC Keys threw 2.0 perfect innings with a strikeout.
- Eddy Demurias was charged with an unearned run in 2.0 innings with 2 strikeouts.
- Dauri Moreta threw a perfect inning with 2 strikeouts.
Nick Lodolo left the game in the middle of an at-bat during the 5th inning. After throwing several pitches to the 1st batter of the inning he walked behind the mound and began to look at his finger before calling for the trainer to come out. After a few minutes of discussion and more investigation of his finger he was removed from the game. Update: I’ve been able to confirm that it was a blister. Both runs he allowed came in the 1st inning and he locked in after that for the most part. He did hit two batters during his outing while throwing 64 pitches with 45 strikes. His ERA jumped up to 1.01 on the year and he now has 38 strikeouts in 26.2 innings for Chattanooga.
Michael De Leon had a big game, including hitting a game tying 2-run homer in the bottom of the 9th inning with two outs. Oh, he also had the walk-off hit in the bottom of the 11th. Between his 15 games split in Chattanooga and Louisville he’s hitting .270/.325/.595 this season.
Eddy Demurias kept his ERA at 0.00 on the season in 12.1 innings split between Dayton and Chattanooga.
Dauri Moreta lowered his ERA to 1.42 on the season in 12.2 innings with 18 strikeouts and a 0.71 WHIP for the Lookouts.
Catcher Mark Kolozsvary made the Team USA Olympic qualifying 26-man roster. That means he will remain on the Lookouts temporarily inactive roster while qualifying is taking place.
The Dayton Dragons won 10-4. Box Score
- Jacob Hurtubise went 1-3 with 2 walks, 2 steals (16), 2 runs, and 2 RBI.
- Michael Siani went 1-5 with a double, steal (7), run, and an RBI.
- Eric Yang went 2-4 with a double and an RBI.
- Quincy McAfee went 1-4 with a double and a run scored.
- Alex McGarry went 2-3 with a walk and 2 runs scored.
- Francisco Urbaez went 3-3 with a walk, double, 2 runs, and 2 RBI.
- Graham Ashcraft threw 5.0 shutout innings with a walk and 4 strikeouts.
Graham Ashcraft rebounded well from his start on Tuesday against these same hitters where he allowed 5 runs in 1.2 innings with 2 walks. He threw 85 pitches with 52 strikes and had 6 ground outs with 2 fly outs on the day.
Jacob Hurtubise caused headaches all day for Quad Cities and did so in many ways. He reached base three times. He stole two bases. And in the field he made a highlight diving catch and also threw out a runner at home plate. Hurtubise is now hitting .313/.464/.359 on the season with 16 steals and he’s been caught just twice.
OH MY HURTUBISE! pic.twitter.com/zRG0HwHioV
— Dayton Dragons (@DragonsBaseball) May 30, 2021
Eric Yang has now had back-to-back games with two hits and a double, raising his average in the process up to .281.
Francisco Urbaez had a big day at the plate as he reached base 4 times and played a part in 4 runs for the Dragons. He raised his line to .314/.400/.457 through his 11 games played on the season.
The Daytona Tortugas lost 15-3. Box Score
- Rece Hinds went 1-3 with a double, run, and he had an RBI.
- Daniel Vellojin went 2-3 with a walk and an RBI.
- Allan Cerda went 1-4 with a double.
- Danny Lantigua went 1-4 with a double.
- Wendell Marrero went 1-2 with 2 walks, a double, and a run scored.
- Wilfred Astudillo went 1-3.
- Reyny Reyes went 1-1 with an RBI.
How do we put this as nicely as possible? The pitching was terrible. The Tortugas walked 18 batters on the day. They also hit three batters. Vin Timpanelli was the only pitcher who didn’t hit or walk a batter among the seven Daytona pitchers in the game – he only faced two batters and got both of them out. He also dropped his ERA on the season to 2.16 on the year and now has 14 strikeouts in 8.1 innings.
Daniel Vellojin raised his line on the season to .281/.467/.406. He’s been an on-base machine, walking 12 times in 13 games this year for the Tortugas.
Rece Hinds extended his hitting streak to 6 games. He’s raised his OPS 115 points in that stretch and now sits with an .800 OPS on the season.
Austin Hendrick did not play again. He missed the entire 6-game series. Last Sunday he was hit by a pitch and removed from the game an inning later.
Top 25 Prospect Rundown
5/31 Game Preview
|Team||Record||Time (ET)||Probable||Box Score||Listen||Watch|
|Louisville||7-16||OFF DAY||OFF DAY||Here||Here||Here|
|Chattanooga||15-9||OFF DAY||OFF DAY||Here||Here||Here|
|Dayton||14-10||OFF DAY||OFF DAY||Here||Here||Here|
|Daytona||12-12||OFF DAY||OFF DAY||Here||Here||N/A|