Jose Barrero and Nick Lodolo impressed in the Futures Game in Colorado, Hunter Greene allowed as many runs as he drove in on Sunday, Michael Siani had a big game in Dayton, Francisco Urbaez just keeps doing his thing, and Wendell Marrero helped fuel a Daytona comeback win with a 9th inning home run for the Tortugas.
We’re going to try something new this year and make every Sunday a free Patreon post preview. If you want to get this in your inbox every day during the season, along with some other fun perks along the way, think about signing up for a few bucks a month to support the work that goes into all of this. You can get more information here.
The Louisville Bats lost 3-1. Box Score
- Scott Heineman went 2-3 with a double and he was hit by a pitch.
- Max Schrock went 1-4.
- Alfredo Rodriguez went 1-4 with a run scored.
- Rocky Gale went 1-3.
- Mallex Smith went 1-3.
- Hunter Greene went 1-2 with an RBI at the plate. He allowed a run in 5.0 innings on 6 hits and 2 walks to go along with 2 strikeouts.
Hunter Greene had just two strikeouts in the game. It’s the second straight game with two strikeouts for Greene after not having struck out fewer than six batters all season. This one had better results as only a solo home run to lead off the second inning game around to score on the day against him. Greene threw 77 pitches with 46 strikes and had 5 ground outs to go along with 6 fly outs. On the season between Double-A and Triple-A he has a 3.13 ERA in 63.1 innings with 26 walks and 85 strikeouts.
The game was tied up at 1-1 after both teams scored a run in the 2nd inning. That’s where it stayed until the top of the 8th when Memphis scored two runs in a 4-hit inning.
The Chattanooga Lookouts were postponed
No make up date has been set for the game yet.
The Dayton Dragons lost 13-4. Box Score
- Francisco Urbaez went 1-3 with a walk, double, and an RBI. He was also hit by a pitch.
- Juan Martinez went 1-5 with a run scored.
- Quin Cotton went 3-5 with a run scored.
- Michael Siani went 3-5 with a double, steal (15), a run, and an RBI.
- Miguel Hernandez went 1-3 with 2 walks and an RBI.
- Reyny Reyes went 2-4 with a run scored.
- Matt Gill threw a perfect inning with 2 strikeouts.
- Braxton Roxby threw a perfect inning with 2 strikeouts.
Three big innings for West Michigan put the Dragons behind the 8-ball and Dayton couldn’t quite get things rolling enough to make up the difference.
Francisco Urbaez remained hot, reaching base three times – including a double. He’s hitting .335/.421/.477 on the season through 43 games played. Since May 29th he’s played in 34 games. He’s failed to have a hit in just 4 of those games, and in 2 of those games he still reached base.
Michael Siani is hitting .265/.390/.446 with 16 walks since the start of June (100 plate appearances over 24 games). He hit .177/.293/.190 in May.
Braxton Roxby lowered his ERA to 1.59 in 22.2 innings with Dayton and now has 40 strikeouts on the season.
The Daytona Tortugas won 6-4 in 10. Box Score
- Gus Steiger went 1-4 with a walk, double, and 2 RBI.
- Brandon Leyton went 1-5 with a double and a run.
- Ivan Johnson went 1-4 with a run scored.
- Garrett Wolforth went 1-4 with an RBI.
- Wendell Marrero went 2-4 with a double, home run (3), and 2 RBI.
- Ranser Amador went 2-4 with a run and an RBI.
- Miguel Medrano allowed 1 earned in 3.0 innings with a walk.
- Manuel Cachutt was charged with an unearned run in 2.0 innings with 2 walks and a strikeout.
- Ian Koch threw a hitless inning with a walk and 2 strikeouts.
- Stevie Branche threw 3.0 shutout innings with a strikeout.
- Vin Timpanelli was charged with an unearned run in a hitless inning with 2 strikeouts.
Trailing 3-2 with 2 outs in the top of the 9th inning Wendell Marrero hit a 400-foot home run to tie the game up. The game would go to extras and that’s when the Tortugas went to work. Leo Seminati was hit by a pitch to start the inning, and then Ranser Amador singled with one out to plate Michel Triana and move Seminati up to second. Gus Steiger followed up with a 2-run double to make it 6-3. Jupiter would score a run in the bottom of the 10th inning on a ground out, but that was all they would get as Daytona improved to 28-32 with the extra-innings win to close out the series.
Wendell Marrero has hit .300/.419/.429 with 12 walks over 23 games dating back to June 3rd.
Stevie Branche lowered his ERA to 3.82 on the day and now has 54 strikeouts in 30.2 innings pitched.
Vin Timpanelli saw his ERA drop to 1.66 through 18 games. He had 8 saves and 34 strikeouts in 21.2 innings this season.
The ACL Reds had the day off
The Futures Game
Jose Barrero was #2 in the lineup but #1 to put a run on the board in the Futures Game as he took an 84 MPH curveball and sent it 426 feet into the seats in left center in the bottom of the 1st inning. He would walk in his second and final trip to the plate.
Nick Lodolo would come into the game and record the final two outs of the 3rd inning on two line outs. The lefty returned for the top of the 4th inning and got the first out of the inning on a strikeout of Julio Rodriguez. That would be the final batter he’d face, getting credit for a perfect
The Dominican Summer League begins on Monday morning. How exactly I handle the coverage of the league is still up in the air. I am going to play it by ear/feel and see how things shape up.
Top 25 Prospect Rundown
7/12 Game Preview
|Team||Record||Time (ET)||Probable||Box Score||Listen||Watch|
|Louisville||24-34||OFF DAY||OFF DAY||Here||Here||Here|
|Chattanooga||32-25||OFF DAY||OFF DAY||Here||Here||Here|
|Dayton||34-25||OFF DAY||OFF DAY||Here||Here||Here|
|Daytona||28-32||OFF DAY||OFF DAY||Here||Here||N/A|