TJ Friedl homered for the second straight day in a Louisville win, Jack Rogers homered for his second straight game with Dayton, Elly De La Cruz tied for the league lead in triples despite playing in just his 25th and 26 games of the season in the Low-A Southeast, and Allan Cerda hit two home runs to jump into a tie for 3rd place in the league with 12 home runs.
We’re going to try something new this year and make every Sunday a free Patreon post preview. If you want to get this in your inbox every day during the season, along with some other fun perks along the way, think about signing up for a few bucks a month to support the work that goes into all of this. You can get more information here.
The Louisville Bats won 2-1. Box Score
- Tejay Antone (rehab) threw a hitless inning with 2 walks.
- Michael Feliz (rehab) threw a perfect inning with 2 strikeouts.
- R.J. Alaniz (rehab) threw a shutout inning with a strikeout.
- TJ Friedl went 1-4 with a 2-run home run (8).
- Max Schrock went 2-4.
- Braxton Lee went 2-4.
- Brantley Bell went 2-3 with a run.
- Reiver Sanmartin was charged with an unearned run in 5.0 innings on 3 hits and he had 3 strikeouts.
- Nick Howard threw a perfect inning with a strikeout.
The big news of the day in Louisville involved Nick Senzel being activated from the 60-day injured list by the Reds and then optioned to Triple-A Louisville.
TJ Friedl homered for the second consecutive day. The homer was his 8th of the season and is now a career high, topping the 7 that he hit back in 2017 when he played in 114 games (87 games this year).
In his last 11 games (4 starts, 7 relief appearances) dating back to June 22nd, Reiver Sanmartin has thrown 30.2 innings with 24 hits, 4 walks, and 27 strikeouts to go along with an ERA of 2.05.
Louisville began the 6-game series against Nashville at 32-51, while Nashville was 49-35. The Bats won 5 of the 6 games in the series.
The Chattanooga Lookouts lost 6-5. Box Score
- Wilson Garcia went 1-4.
- Robbie Tenerowicz went 1-4 with a run.
- Drew Mount went 3-4 with a triple, run, and an RBI.
- Miguel Hernandez went 1-4 with a run.
- Chuckie Robinson went 1-4 with a run.
- Yoel Yanqui went 1-3 with a home run (7) and 3 RBI.
- Matt Pidich threw a perfect inning of relief.
- Daniel Duarte threw 2.0 hitless innings with 2 walks and a strikeout.
The game that was completed on Sunday began on Saturday but was suspended by rain in the 7th inning. During the national anthem right before the start of the 2nd game it began to rain and it never let up, postponing game 2.
Drew Mount picked up his first non-home run extra-base hit of the month. He has hit four homers in August, but his triple on Sunday was the first non-homer, non-single in 12 games.
Yoel Yanqui’s home run was the first for him in nearly two months, with his last home run coming on June 19th. He played 40 games and had 147 plate appearances in between the two games.
Daniel Duarte made his return to the mound in pro baseball on Sunday. He had been with Team Mexico in Tokyo for the Olympics.
The Dayton Dragons lost 5-4. Box Score
- Michael Siani went 1-5 with a triple and a run.
- Ivan Johnson went 1-3 with a run and an RBI. He was also hit by a pitch.
- Matt McLain went 1-3 and was hit by a pitch.
- Quin Cotton went 1-4 with an RBI.
- Jack Rogers went 1-4 with a 2-run homer (2).
- Victor Ruiz went 1-4.
- Vin Timpanelli threw 1.1 perfect innings with 4 strikeouts.
- Ricky Karcher threw 2.0 perfect innings with 4 strikeouts.
Ivan Johnson enjoyed a big first week with Dayton after his promotion from Daytona. The infielder played in all 6 games of the series in Lansing and hit .360/.429/.560 as he continued his outstanding run at the plate. Since returning from the injured list on June 15th he’s hit .298/.383/.503 in 49 games between Daytona and Dayton.
Jack Rogers homered for his second straight game and his 2-run shot in the 9th tied the game up. It’s also his third straight game with an extra-base hit – he tripled in his Dragons debut on August 11th.
Dayton hit 7 home runs in all of July. They homered 13 times in this 6-game series against Lansing.
The Daytona Tortugas lost a doubleheader
Game 1: 3-0 loss. Box Score
- Elly De La Cruz went 1-4 with a triple.
- Garrett Wolforth went 1-3 with a walk and a steal.
- Leo Seminati went 1-3.
- Reyny Reyes went 1-3.
- Gabriel Aguilera allowed a run on 2 hits with 2 walks in 4 innings. He also picked up 2 strikeouts.
- Alberto Gonzalez threw 2.0 shutout innings with a walk and 2 strikeouts.
Game 2: 9-8 loss. Box Score
- Daniel Vellojin went 1-4 with a home run (5).
- Garrett Wolforth went 1-4.
- Allan Cerda went 2-4 with 2 home runs (12).
- Ruben Ibarra went 1-4 with a run.
- Danny Lantigua went 1-4.
- Leo Seminati went 2-3 with a walk, home run (8), and 2 runs.
- Brandon Leyton went 1-3 with a double and a run.
- Blake Dunn went 2-3 with a grand slam (1).
- Jason Parker allowed 3 runs in 5.0 innings on 3 hits and 2 walks while striking out 5.
Game 1 began on Saturday but was suspended by rain in the 4th inning and resumed on Sunday. Daytona led game 2 by a score of 7-1 after the third inning, but saw Jupiter score in the next five innings to pick up the extra-innings win.
Elly De La Cruz tripled in the first game. It gave him 6 with Daytona, and 7 on the season. His 6 triples with the Tortugas tied him for the league lead. He’s played in 26 games in the Low-A Southeast…..
Allan Cerda hit 818 feet worth of home runs on the day. His 12 home runs are now tied for 3rd most in the league.
Blake Dunn’s grand slam was his first professional home run. The 15th round pick has played in 8 games this season.
The ACL Reds had the day off.
The DSL Reds had the day off.
Top 25 Prospect Rundown
8/16 Game Preview
|Team||Record||Time (ET)||Probable||Box Score||Listen||Watch|