The regular season came to an end today for everyone except the Dominican Summer League Reds, who will continue to play until the first week of October. Louisville will pick up in the “postseason” on Tuesday as every Triple-A team will play two 5-game series in the next two weeks with the team holding the best winning percentage being name postseason champions. Alejo Lopez and Francisco Urbaez picked up three hits while Chris Okey had four that included two homers in Louisville’s victory, Dayton won their 6th in a row with help from homers by Juan Martinez and Matt McLain, and Daytona picked up an extra-innings win behind three more hits from Jose Torres and a strong start from Gabriel Aguilera.
If you are interested in getting emailed every day during the season with additional game notes and a rundown on how the Cincinnati Reds Top 25 Prospects performed (along with other perks) you can sign up to support the site through Patreon and get all of that for a few bucks a month. If that’s something that sounds interesting you can get more information here.
The Louisville Bats won 8-7. Box Score
- Alejo Lopez went 3-5 with a double, 2 runs, and 2 RBI.
- Francisco Urbaez went 3-5 with a run.
- Narciso Crook went 1-3 with 2 walks and 2 RBI.
- Michael De Leon went 2-5 with a run.
- Chris Okey went 4-5 with 2 home runs (5) and 3 runs.
- Brandon Finnegan threw a perfect inning of relief.
Alejo Lopez finished the season with a .334/.416/.451 line between Double-A and Triple-A with 43 walks and 30 strikeouts in 86 games played.
Chris Okey had 1 home run in his first 41 games. He hit four of them in the next (and last) 24 games.
The Chattanooga Lookouts game was cancelled
The Dayton Dragons won 5-3. Box Score
- Jacob Hurtubise went 1-4 with a steal (39) and a run.
- Matt McLain went 1-3 with a walk, inside-the-park home run (3), 2 runs, and 2 RBI.
- Allan Cerda went 1-4 with a run.
- Juan Martinez went 2-4 with a double, home run (7), and 3 RBI.
- Quin Cotton went 2-4 with a steal (24).
- Jack Rogers went 1-4.
- Spencer Stockton threw 4.0 shutout innings with 6 strikeouts.
- Stevie Branche allowed a run in 2.0 innings with 2 strikeouts.
- Pedro Garcia threw a shutout inning with 2 strikeouts.
The final game of the year saw the Dragons pick up a sweep of Fort Wayne to finish the season at 65-55. That tied them for 1st place in the High-A Central East division. However, in 2021 the playoff procedures are not to have the division winners face off, but the two teams with the best record regardless of division face off in the championship and this year both of those teams were in the West division. Dayton went 8-2 down the stretch, including winning their final six games.
Jacob Hurtubise finished the season with a league best .413 on-base percentage. His 39 steals were 3rd in the league. Michael Siani‘s 30 steals were 6th best. Quin Cotton’s 24 were 9th best.
Matt McLain hit .283/.389/.462 in 31 games after being drafted this season with 17 walks, 24 strikeouts, and 10 steals in 12 attempts.
Stevie Branche finishes the season with a cool 100 strikeouts in 58.1 innings, a 7-1 record, and a 2.78 ERA between his two stops in Daytona and Dayton.
The Daytona Tortugas won 8-5 in 10. Box Score
- Jose Torres went 3-5 with a run and an RBI.
- Brandon Leyton went 1-5 with 2 runs.
- Elly De La Cruz went 2-5 with a double, run, and an RBI.
- Rece Hinds went 1-4 with 2 runs. He was also hit by a pitch.
- Justice Thompson went 1-5 with a run and 2 RBI.
- Ruben Ibarra went 1-3 with an RBI.
- Mike Trautwein went 2-4 with a walk, double, and an RBI.
- Gus Steiger went 1-4 with a walk and 2 RBI.
- Ashton Creal went 1-5 with a steal.
- Gabriel Aguilera threw 5.0 shutout innings on 2 hits and 2 walks with 5 strikeouts.
- Anthony Zimmerman allowed a run in 2.0 innings with 2 strikeouts.
- Tyler Garbee threw 1.1 perfect innings with 2 strikeouts.
- Manuel Cachutt threw a perfect inning of relief.
Daytona pulled off a come from behind win on Sunday afternoon. They were leading 4-1 entering the bottom of the 8th, but then Palm Beach scored four runs to take a 5-4 lead. The Tortugas tied it up in the top of the 9th and then scored three runs in the top of the 10th for the win. It moved them to an even 60-60 on the season in their final game of the year.
3rd round selection Jose Torres finishes up his season hitting .333/.387/.590 in 28 games (3 in Arizona, 25 with Daytona).
Rece Hinds hit .259/.332/.542 with 12 home runs in 54 games this season.
The DSL Reds had the day off
9/20 Game Preview
|Team||Record||Time (ET)||Probable||Box Score||Listen||Watch|