Andrew Abbott picked up his third straight double-digit strikeout game as the Dayton Dragons moved to 16-5 with another win, Matt McLain homered twice for Chattanooga in their win, Jay Allen slugged two doubles for Daytona, and Graham Ashcraft had a 14-to-2 ground out to fly out ratio for Louisville on Sunday.
Each Sunday’s game review will be a replica of what you will get by supporting the work done here at the site on Patreon. This is the kind of stuff you will get emailed to you every day of the season with additional notes from the games and a full run down of how the Top 25 Prospects in the organization performed that day. So if you would like to get that each and every day you can get it by signing up at Patreon and helping support the site.
The Louisville Bats lost 8-7. Box Score
- Lorenzo Cedrola went 2-5 with a walk and a run.
- Albert Almora Jr. went 3-5 with a run and 2 RBI.
- Cristian Santana went 1-5 with an RBI.
- Taylor Motter went 1-4 with a walk, home run (2), and 2 RBI.
- Michael De Leon went 1-4 with a walk, double, and a run scored.
- JT Riddle went 3-5 with a double and a run.
- Graham Ashcraft allowed 3 earned in 5.1 innings with a walk.
Graham Ashcraft had his first professional start without a strikeout on Sunday. He did, however, get 14 ground outs with just 2 fly outs in the outing as he continued to be a ground ball inducing machine. His ERA went up to 1.99 on the season.
Lorenzo Cedrola had yet another multi-hit game as he raised his average to .313 on the season (30-96).
Albert Almora Jr. began his season on a minor league rehab assignment with Dayton – spending four games there. But in the 10 games he’s played since joining Louisville he’s gone 17-45 (.378) with four doubles and just two strikeouts.
The Chattanooga Lookouts won 6-1. Box Score
- Michael Siani went 1-4 with 2 steals and 2 runs.
- TJ Hopkins went 1-4 with a double, run, and an RBI.
- Matt McLain went 2-4 with 2 home runs (5) and 4 RBI.
- Isiah Gilliam went 2-4 with a home run (5).
- Chuckie Robinson went 1-4.
- Francisco Urbaez went 1-3.
- Eduardo Salazar allowed a run in 5.0 innings on 3 hits and 2 walks while striking out 5.
- Stevie Branche threw 2.0 hitless innings with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts.
- Matt Pidich threw a perfect inning with a strikeout.
- Julio Pinto threw a shutout inning with a strikeout.
Matt McLain had been 2 for his last 15 entering the game on Sunday. He then hit two home runs, busting out of the slump he was in. He’s now hitting .271/.366/.643 through 20 games with 13 extra-base hits.
TJ Hopkins keeps on raking. He’s now hitting .304/.405/.652 with 21 RBI in 19 games.
Isiah Gilliam extended his on-base streak to 13 with his 5th home run of the season. He’s reached base in 15 of the 17 games he’s played in and is hitting .303/.365/.636 with 11 extra-base hits.
The Dayton Dragons won 8-0. Box Score
- Elly De La Cruz went 2-4 with a walk and a run scored.
- Rece Hinds went 1-5 with a run.
- Jose Torres went 2-4 with a walk, steal, double, run, and an RBI.
- Mat Nelson went 2-4 with a walk, double, and 2 runs.
- J.V. Martinez went 2-4 with a walk, double, 2 runs, and 2 RBI.
- Nick Quintana went 2-4 with a double, home run (3), and 4 RBI.
- Andrew Abbott threw 6.0 shutout innings on 2 hits and a walk while striking out 10 batters.
- Jake Gozzo threw 2.0 hitless innings with a walk and a strikeout.
- Donovan Benoit threw a perfect inning with 2 strikeouts.
Another start and another dominant performance for Andrew Abbott. Sunday was his third consecutive double-digit strikeout performance. On the season he now has a 0.86 ERA, a 0.95 WHIP, has 7 walks and 35 strikeouts in 21.0 innings for the Dragons.
Jose Torres has missed a few games this week, but he’s been one of the best hitters for Dayton this season when he’s been on the field. After Sunday’s performance he’s hitting .298/.353/.596 with 5 stolen bases.
The Dragons improved to 16-5 on the season with the win. That is the best record in all of minor league baseball.
The Daytona Tortugas lost 9-2. Box Score
- Jay Allen went 2-3 with a walk, 2 doubles, and a run.
- Ruben Ibarra went 1-2 with 2 walks and an RBI.
- Gus Steiger went 1-2 with 2 walks and an RBI.
- Frainger Aranguren threw 1.1 perfect innings of relief.
It was a tough Sunday for Daytona as three of the four pitchers they sent to the mound allowed multiple runs on the day.
Jay Allen has gotten on base nine times in the last three games and he’s also hit three doubles in that stretch.
Top 25 Prospects Rundown
5/2 Game Preview
|Team||Record||Time (ET)||Probable||Box Score||Listen||Watch|