Louisville got three home runs from Cristian Santana, Taylor Motter, and Aristides Aquino to help them pick up a win behind Graham Ashcraft who continued to throw bowling balls for the Bats, Isiah Gilliam and Robbie Tenerowicz continue to rake for Chattanooga as they each doubled in a multi-hit game, and Andrew Abbott’s dominance continued as he lowered his ERA to 0.63 in Dayton with 6.0 shutout frames.
Each Sunday’s game review will be a replica of what you will get by supporting the work done here at the site on Patreon. This is the kind of stuff you will get emailed to you every day of the season with additional notes from the games and a full run down of how the Top 25 Prospects in the organization performed that day. So if you would like to get that each and every day you can get it by signing up at Patreon and helping support the site.
The Louisville Bats won 5-1. Box Score
- Ronnie Dawson went 0-2 with 2 walks and a run.
- Cristian Santana went 2-4 with a home run (2), 2 runs, and 2 RBI.
- Aristides Aquino went 1-3 with a 2-run home run (1).
- JT Riddle went 1-4.
- Taylor Motter went 2-4 with a home run (3).
- Graham Ashcraft was charged with an unearned run in 5.0 innings on 3 hits and 5 walks while striking out 3.
- Ross Detwiler threw 2.1 shutout innings with 2 strikeouts.
- Fernando Cruz threw a perfect inning with a strikeout.
Aristides Aquino hit a long home run that bounced out of the ballpark, but after flying out in the top of the 6th inning he was replaced in the field in the bottom of the inning. It was not apparent at the time that he injured himself on the swing or the bases as he ran out the fly ball.
Taylor Motter continues to make his presence felt. Since joining the Bats 10 games ago he’s hit .270/.357/.568 with five extra-base hits and five walks.
Cristian Santana keeps hitting for the Bats. His two hits today raised his average to .325 on the season through 20 games.
Graham Ashcraft lowered his ERA to 1.63 on the season with the Bats. He had 10 ground outs and 1 fly out in the game. Ashcraft has always been a big ground ball pitcher, but after his start on Sunday his ground ball rate on the year sits at 71%. MLB average, for context, is 43%. His control hasn’t been as good this season as it has been in the past. He’s now walked 15 batters in 27.2 innings with Louisville this season.
The Chattanooga Lookouts lost 7-6. Box Score
- Michael Siani went 2-4 with a steal (8), run, and an RBI.
- Isiah Gilliam went 2-5 with a double, 2 runs, and an RBI.
- Robbie Tenerowicz went 3-4 with a double.
- Leonardo Rivas went 1-4 with 2 RBI.
- Quincy McAfee went 1-3 with a walk, run, and an RBI.
- Quin Cotton went 1-4 with a solo home run (1).
- Ryan Nutof threw 1.1 hitless innings with a walk and 2 strikeouts.
- Julio Pinto allowed a run in 2.0 innings with 3 strikeouts.
- Ricky Karcher threw a hitless inning with 2 walks and a strikeout.
Over the last 17 games, Robbie Tenerowicz has hit .356/.473/.475 with 11 walks and 12 strikeouts.
Isiah Gilliam keeps on piling up hits and showing off his pop. Through 23 games he’s now hitting .281/.350/.584 with 14 extra-base hits for the Lookouts.
Ryan Nutof is making up for lost time after missing the 2021 season. He lowered his ERA to 1.74 through 10.1 innings and now has 17 strikeouts.
The Dayton Dragons won 2-0. Box Score
- Elly De La Cruz went 1-2 with a walk, steal, and was hit by a pitch.
- Mat Nelson went 1-4 with a run.
- Garrett Wolforth went 1-3.
- Jack Rogers went 0-1 with 2 walks and an RBI.
- Andrew Abbott threw 6.0 shutout innings on 3 hits and he struck out 5.
- James Marinan threw 3.0 hitless innings with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts.
Dayton scored both of their runs in the bottom of the 7th inning. Jack Rogers walked with the bases loaded to bring in the first run and a wild pitch with Elly De La Cruz at the plate brought in another run. That was more than they needed. There were only three hits by each side in the game as offense was at a premium on the day.
Andrew Abbott continues to show his dominance. After another shutout performance his ERA dropped to 0.63 on the season. In his five games he’s thrown 27.0 innings, allowed just 16 hits, walked just seven batters, and he’s struck out 40.
The Daytona Tortugas lost 5-2. Box Score
- Steven Leyton went 1-5 with an RBI.
- Jamal O’Guinn went 1-2 with 3 walks and an RBI.
- Hayden Jones went 1-4 with a steal.
- Reyny Reyes went 1-3 with a walk and a steal.
- Sebastian Almonte went 2-3 with a walk and a run.
- Arij Fransen threw 3.0 shutout innings with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts.
- Chase Petty allowed a run in 3.0 innings with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts.
Jamal O’Guinn picked up three walks in the game and now has 15 of them in just 14 games played since joining the Tortugas. He’s hitting .262/.483/.310. Not showing much power – he has just two doubles with no triples or homers – but he’s done nothing but get on base at a very high clip as a professional.
Chase Petty has been limited in how many pitches he’s been allowed to throw this season – he’s thrown less than 50 pitches in four of his appearances, 51 in another, and 62 in one game. With that said, he’s now allowed 0 or 1 earned run in 5 of his 6 games pitched this season. He lowered his ERA down to 3.20 on Sunday.
Top 25 Prospects Rundown
5/9 Game Preview
|Team||Record||Time (ET)||Probable||Box Score||Listen||Watch|