Jose Barrero doubled and picked up three hits while on rehab, Cristian Santana is now hitting .344 after a 3-hit game, Matt McLain hit his 10th homer of the season, Rece Hinds continued to crush the ball in May for Dayton and James Proctor struck out a season high eight batters in the Dragons win.
Each Sunday’s game review will be a replica of what you will get by supporting the work done here at the site on Patreon. This is the kind of stuff you will get emailed to you every day of the season with additional notes from the games and a full run down of how the Top 25 Prospects in the organization performed that day. So if you would like to get that each and every day you can get it by signing up at Patreon and helping support the site.
The Louisville Bats lost a doubleheader
Game 1: 17-7 loss. Box Score
- Nick Senzel (rehab) went 0-1. Ejected.
- Jose Barrero (rehab) went 1-2.
- Trey Amburgey went 1-1 with a walk and a home run (7).
- Cristian Santana went 3-5 with a home run (3) and 3 RBI.
- Juniel Querecuto went 1-5 with a run.
- Ronnie Dawson went 3-4 with a double and an RBI.
- Michael De Leon went 1-3 with a walk and a run.
- Mark Kolozsvary went 1-3 with a walk.
- Dauri Moreta threw a perfect inning of relief.
This game began on Saturday, but was suspended by rain. When coming off of the field during the downpour on Saturday as the game was put into a delay, Nick Senzel apparently said something to one of the umpires and was tossed from the game.
Cristian Santana continues his outstanding 2022 campaign. He’s now hitting .344/.394/.451 on the season. In the second game he didn’t start, but came off of the bench and walked. It was his 9th walk of the year. He walked 11 times total in 91 games in 2021 and 10 times total in 2019 in 102 games. His approach has been much better this season.
Game 2: 5-4 loss. Box Score
- Nick Senzel (rehab) went 0-4 with an RBI.
- Jose Barrero (rehab) went 2-3 with a double and a run.
- Jake Bauers went 1-2 with a walk and a 2-run home run (3).
- Lorenzo Cedrola went 1-3.
- Michael De Leon went 1-2 with a walk and a run.
- Chris Okey went 1-2 with a triple, RBI, and a run.
- Buck Farmer threw a shutout inning.
Jose Barrero is now 3-9 in his three rehab games with the Bats. He doubled in his first at-bat of the day, hitting the ball at 107 MPH on a line into the right-center gap. In his third at-bat he was thrown out at second base as he tried to stretch a single into a double.
Jake Bauers has played in 14 games in May. He’s had a hit in three of them. Each game he’s had a hit in he’s had an extra-base hit in. He’s walked 11 times in May but had just five hits in 44 at-bats during the month.
The Chattanooga Lookouts lost 11-5. Box Score
- Michael Siani went 1-4 with a walk, triple, run, and 2 RBI.
- Matt McLain went 1-4 with a 2-run home run (10).
- Quincy McAfee went 1-3 with a home run (4) and 2 runs.
- Quin Cotton went 1-3 with a walk and a run.
- Eric Yang went 2-4 with a double.
- Ryan Nutof threw 1.2 shutout innings with 2 strikeouts.
- Ricky Salinas threw 1.1 shutout innings with 3 walks.
Tennessee was ahead 5-1 after two innings, but the Lookouts tied things up in the top of the 5th. But the Smokies scored two runs in the bottom of the inning and then added four more runs later to really put the game away.
Matt McLain picked up his 10th homer of the season. That’s second best in the organization. But he also struck out three more times and now has 50 in 155 plate appearances this season. His strikeout rate has really gone up in May. During April he had 21 strikeouts in 78 plate appearances (27%), but in May he’s had 29 strikeouts in 77 plate appearances (38%).
Ryan Nutof lowered his ERA to 1.15 this season in 15.2 innings while striking out 25 batters.
The Dayton Dragons split a doubleheader
Game 1: 9-2 loss. Box Score
- Jake Fraley (rehab) went 0-1 with a walk, steal, run, and he was hit by a pitch.
- Rece Hinds went 2-3 with a home run (5).
- Allen Cerda went 2-3 with 2 doubles.
- Nick Quintana went 1-3.
It was a tough day for the pitchers. James Marinan pitched the final 3.0 innings and allowed a 2-run homer in the 7th and final inning of the game. Outside of that, he pitched well, striking out 6 batters.
Rece Hinds hot May kept on going in game number one of the doubleheader. Even after going 0-3 in the second game Hinds is still hitting .370/.431/.652 during May.
Game 2: 4-2 win. Box Score
- Elly De La Cruz went 1-3 with a triple and 2 RBI.
- Allan Cerda went 1-2 with a walk, steal, and a run.
- J.V. Martinez went 2-2 with a double, run, and 2 RBI.
- James Proctor allowed a run in 5.0 innings with 3 walks and 8 strikeouts.
- Carson Rudd threw a perfect inning.
After beginning May by going 1-28, Allan Cerda has turned things around over the last eight games. He’s hitting .440/.533/1.040, good for an OPS of 1.573 since May 14th.
James Proctor lowered his ERA to 3.33 on the season through six starts with Dayton. His eight strikeouts on the day set a new season high.
The win moved Dayton to 26-12 on the year.
The Daytona Tortugas lost a doubleheader.
Game 1: 7-2 loss. Box Score
- Hayden Jones went 1-2 with 2 RBI.
- Steven Leyton went 1-3.
- Blake Dunn went 1-2 with a walk and a run.
- Reynardo Cruz allowed a run in 4.0 innings with 7 strikeouts.
- Brett Lockwood allowed a run in 2.1 innings with a walk and 2 strikeouts.
The game was close until the top of the 5th when Dunedin scored five runs to grab a 6-0 lead.
Reynardo Cruz had his best outing of the season, giving up just one run over 4.0 innings. He didn’t walk a batter for the second time out of his seven games and set a season high with seven strikeouts.
Game 2: 5-2 loss. Box Score
- Jay Allen II went 1-3 with a run.
- Jamal O’Guinn went 2-3 with a double and an RBI.
- Steven Leyton went 1-3 with a home run (2).
- Owen Holt threw 2.0 hitless innings with a strikeout.
Jamal O’Guinn has 24 walks in 24 games this season. He’s only struck out 20 times.
Owen Holt lowered his ERA to 0.69 on the season. He gave up a run in his first appearance of the season back on April 9th. Since then he’s thrown 11.0 innings without giving up a run. Sunday was the first time he’s pitched more than one time in a series, which is a bit strange for a reliever who has been active all season.
Top 25 Prospects Rundown
5/23 Game Preview
|Team||Record||Time (ET)||Probable||Box Score||Listen||Watch|