TJ Hopkins picked up his 11th home run and Spencer Stockton lowered his ERA to 1.40 with another strong outing for Chattanooga, Austin Hendrick doubled and homer as Dayton’s slide continued, Tyler Calliahn, Jack Rogers, Steven Leyton, and Ashton Creal all had three hits in Daytona’s win, the ACL Reds got homers from Carlos Jorge, Deivid Alcantara, and Donovan Antonia as Jefferson Lopez struck out right in 4.0 perfect innings in a comeback win, and down in the Domincan Summer League Esmith Pineda picked up another hit as his hot start to his career continued.
Each Tuesday’s game review will be a replica of what you will get by supporting the work done here at the site on Patreon. This is the kind of stuff you will get emailed to you every day of the season with additional notes from the games and a full run down of how the Top 25 Prospects in the organization performed that day. So if you would like to get that each and every day you can get it by signing up at Patreon and helping support the site.
The Louisville Bats lost 7-2. Box Score
- Lorenzo Cedrola went 1-4 with a steal and a run.
- Jose Barrero went 1-4.
- Colin Moran went 1-4.
- Juniel Querecuto went 2-3 with a run.
- Sandy Leon went 1-3.
- TJ Friedl went 1-3 with a double and an RBI.
- Eddy Demurias threw 1.2 shutout innings with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts
- Jared Solomon threw 2.0 shutout innings with a strikeout.
- Kyle Zimmer threw a shutout inning with a strikeout.
Louisville jumped out to a 2-0 lead by scoring a run in each of the first two innings. But after that they failed to score again while Iowa scored seven times.
Juniel Querecuto is now hitting .312/.356/.464 through 34 games this year with Louisville after missing the first five weeks of the season after breaking his hamate bone in spring training.
The Chattanooga Lookouts lost 5-3. Box Score
- Alex McGarry went 1-3 with a walk and an RBI.
- TJ Hopkins went 1-4 with a home run (11).
- James Free went 1-4.
- Quincy McAfee went 1-3 with a walk and a run.
- Spencer Stockton threw 1.2 shutout innings with 3 strikeouts.
- Andy Fisher threw a hitless inning with 3 walks and 2 strikeouts.
Alex McGarry keeps on hitting in Chattanooga after his promotion. After getting on base two more times on Tuesday night he’s hitting .333/.389/.576 with the Lookouts through 9 games.
Matt McLain‘s slump continues. He’s now hitting .211/.357/.281 through 15 games in June.
Spencer Stockton’s outstanding 2022 continues. His ERA is down to 1.40 in 25.2 innings split between Dayton and Chattanooga. He’s given up 19 hits, no home runs, walked just 6 batters, and he now has 27 strikeouts.
The Dayton Dragons lost 11-2. Box Score
- Daniel Vellojin went 2-3 with a double and a walk.
- Austin Hendrick went 2-4 with a double, home run (10), and 2 runs.
- Jose Torres went 1-4 with an RBI.
- Evan Kravetz allowed 3 runs in 5.0 innings with a walk and 7 strikeouts.
- Jake Gozzo allowed a run in 2.1 innings with a walk.
Just about two weeks ago the Dayton Dragons had the best record in minor league baseball. After their loss on Tuesday night they have fallen to second place in their own division. Dayton was rained out on June 8th. Since then they’ve gone 2-10, while Great Lakes has gone 11-1 to overtake them in the standings by half of a game. The first half ends on Thursday. Dayton has 3 games remaining, including a doubleheader on Wednesday. Great Lakes only has 2 games remaining, but they have the tie breaker over Dayton.
Austin Hendrick has hit for plenty of power since being promoted to Dayton. He’s got 6 doubles and 3 home runs in 18 games, but he’s struggled to make contact as he’s struck out 28 times with just 6 walks and has hit .235/.303/.456 for the Dragons.
Daniel Vellojin seems to be a fan of wearing the Dayton jersey as he’s picked up two hits and a walk in each of his first two games with the club.
The Daytona Tortugas won 9-5. Box Score
- Tyler Callihan went 3-5 with a double and a run.
- Michel Triana went 1-3 with 2 walks, a run, and an RBI.
- Jack Rogers went 3-3 with 2 walks, a steal, 2 runs, and 2 RBI.
- Steven Leyton went 3-5 with a double, home run (3), and 3 RBI.
- Ashton Creal went 3-4 with a double, triple, run, and an RBI.
- Fidel Castro went 1-4 with a run and an RBI.
- Jose Franco allowed 2 runs in 4.0 innings with 2 walks and 7 strikeouts.
- Dennis Boatman threw 2.0 shutout innings with 5 strikeouts.
- Luis Mey threw a hitless inning with a walk and a strikeout.
After a bit of a slow start to the season after joining Daytona in mid-May after missing the start of the year with an injury, Tyler Callihan is hitting .309 in 17 games during June and has raised his line to .280/.330/.410 on the season through 100 at-bats.
Michel Triana continued his torrid June. In 7 games since returning to the lineup after missing two weeks he’s hitting .417/.548/.709 and has more walks than strikeouts (5-to-4).
Jack Rogers is now hitting .316/.386/.532 through 23 games with Daytona after hitting .097/.253/.145 in 21 games to start the season in Dayton.
Ashton Creal is hitting .400 since June 12th with 3 doubles, a triple, 3 walks, and just 2 strikeouts.
ACL Reds won 10-9. Box Score
- Carlos Jorge went 1-4 with a walk, home run (3), and 2 runs.
- Johnny Ascanio went 1-4 with a walk, double, and a run.
- Leonardo Balcazar went 2-5 with an RBI.
- Ariel Almonte went 1-4.
- Malvin Valdez went 1-2 with 2 walks and 2 runs.
- Deivid Alcantara went 2-3 with a walk, home run (1), 2 runs, and 4 RBI.
- Donovan Antonia went 1-1 with a pinch-hit 3-run home run (3).
- Jefferson Lopez threw 4.0 perfect innings with 8 strikeouts.
The Reds made a big comeback, but almost blew it, too. The Dodgers were up 4-1 after the 1st and 6-1 after the 3rd inning. But then the Reds scored 2 runs in the 4th, 6th, and 7th to take a 7-6 lead. The Dodgers then took an 8-7 lead in the top of the 8th with a 2-spot of their own. Donovan Antonia came off of the bench in the bottom of the 8th with two men on to pinch hit and crushed a 3-run homer to make it a 10-8 game. The Dodgers then scored a run in the top of the 9th and had the tying run on second with two outs, but a strikeout ended the game.
Carlos Jorge just continues to crush the ball. After hitting .346/.436/.579 last season for the DSL Reds he’s now hitting .306/.432/.667 for the ACL Reds in his first 11 games.
Leonardo Balcazar’s hot start to the 2022 season kept going as he picked up 2 more hits on the night. He’s up to .343/.442/.514 through his first 10 games of the season.
Donovan Antonia has 6 hits this season (6-16, .375) and half of them have left the ballpark.
Jefferson Lopez had the game of his life as he struck out 8 batters in 4.0 perfect innings. Last season he pitched in 13 games and his season high in strikeouts was 3 (in 3.0 innings – his longest outing of the year). He only pitched in 3 games in 2019, throwing 3.1 total innings.
DSL Reds lost 5-0. Box Score
- Anthuan Valencia went 1-3.
- Esmith Pineda went 1-3.
- David Lorduy allowed a run in 2.0 innings.
- Kelvin Valdez threw a shutout inning.
- Eddy Alcantara threw a shutout inning with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts.
Esmith Pineda just keeps picking up hits. The 17-year-old is now hitting .361/.452/.472 with 6 walks and just 7 strikeouts to begin his career. In his 11 games played he’s only gone without a hit twice.
Ricardo Cabrera‘s struggles in the field continued. He made his 11th error in his 13th game of the season. He is hitting just .114 with 14 strikeouts and 4 walks.
Top 25 Prospects Rundown
6/22 Game Preview
|Team||Record||Time (ET)||Probable||Box Score||Listen||Watch|