Elly De La Cruz went off once again for Chattanooga as he hit a 491-foot home run in a Lookouts doubleheader split, Spencer Steer kept up his hot hitting with a home run for Louisville, Michel Triana hit his 1st homer with Dayton in their victory, and Leonardo Balcazar had two hits in the ACL Reds win.
If you are interested in getting emailed every day during the season with additional game notes and a rundown on how the Cincinnati Reds Top 25 Prospects performed (along with other perks) you can sign up to support the site through Patreon and get all of that for a few bucks a month. If that’s something that sounds interesting you can get more information here.
The Louisville Bats lost 4-2 in 10. Box Score
- Spencer Steer went 2-4 with a home run (23).
- Cristian Santana went 1-2 with a home run (6) and 2 walks.
- Ronnie Dawson went 1-4.
- Justin Nicolino allowed a run in 5.2 innings with 2 walks and 4 strikeouts.
- Ricky Karcher threw a shutout inning with 2 strikeouts.
- Fernando Cruz threw a perfect inning with a strikeout.
Spencer Steer’s hot start in the Reds organization continued on Thursday night. Through his first 13 games, all with Louisville, he’s hitting .321/.400/.547 with 3 doubles and 3 home runs. He’s gotten on base in all 13 games, and he had a 15 game on-base streak before the trade, so he’s now riding a 28-game on-base streak dating back to July 3rd.
The Chattanooga Lookouts split a doubleheader
Game 1: 4-1 win. Box Score
- Michael Siani went 1-4.
- Matt McLain went 1-4 with a triple and 2 runs.
- Elly De La Cruz went 2-4 with a home run (26) and 3 RBI.
- TJ Hopkins went 2-3 with a home run (16).
- Christian Encarnacion-Strand went 1-3.
- Nick Quintana went 1-3.
- James Free went 1-2 with a walk.
- Joe Boyle threw 4.0 hitless innings with 1 earned run on 5 walks and 3 strikeouts.
- Ryan Nutof threw 2.0 shutout innings with a walk and 3 strikeouts.
- Pedro Garcia threw a shutout inning with a strikeout.
Game 2: 8-5 loss. Box Score
- Michael Siani went 2-4 with a triple, run and 2 RBI.
- Matt McLain went 1-4 with an RBI.
- Elly De La Cruz went 2-4 with a double and an RBI.
- Alex McGarry went 1-3 with a triple and a run.
- Christian Encarnacion-Strand went 1-3 with an RBI.
- Brian Rey went 2-3 with a run.
Elly De La Cruz hit a 491-foot home run in game one. He got ahead and was given the green light on a 3-0 count and he didn’t miss a single piece of that baseball, hitting it over the batters eye. You can check out the video of it here if you haven’t seen it yet.
Michael Siani has gone 6-16 in the last four games with a double, triple, and a home run.
Joe Boyle didn’t give up any hits, but he did allow a run in the 2nd inning after walking the bases loaded then firing a wild pitch. He threw 75 pitches with just 37 strikes on the night. He now has 9 walks and 9 strikeouts in 8.2 innings for Chattanooga in his two starts since being promoted.
Ryan Nutof lowered his ERA to 2.16 on the season in 50.0 innings. He’s walked 27 batters and struck out 59.
Pedro Garcia lowered his ERA to 2.18 on the season in 45.1 innings. He’s walked 17 hitters and picked up 52 strikeouts.
The Dayton Dragons won 5-2. Box Score
- Austin Hendrick went 1-5 with a double and an RBI.
- Mat Nelson went 1-4 with a double and a walk.
- Tyler Callihan went 2-5 with a double, triple, and 2 runs.
- Jose Torres went 2-3 with 2 doubles, a run, and 2 RBI.
- Michel Triana went 1-3 with a home run (8) and a walk.
- Quincy McAfee went 2-2 with 2 walks.
- Jean Correa threw 3.0 hitless innings with 3 walks and 2 strikeouts.
- Frainger Aranguren allowed 2 runs in 4.0 innings with a walk and 4 strikeouts.
- Braxton Roxby threw a shutout inning with a walk and 2 strikeouts.
- Donovan Benoit threw a perfect inning with 2 strikeouts.
Tyler Callihan now has 8 extra-base hits in 15 games in August, setting a new season high (7 in June in 22 games).
Jose Torres picked up 2 more hits, and he had another sacrifice fly. He’s hitting .357/.345/.589 in August with an on-base percentage 12 points lower than his average because he hasn’t walked or been hit by a pitch, but does have 2 sac flies. This is fun to follow in a weird kind of way.
Jean Correa made his first start of the season and only his second start of his career (He’s only pitched in 5 games this season, didn’t play at all in 2021, and then pitched out of the bullpen in 19 of his 20 games with the DSL Royals in 2018 and 2019) on Thursday night. Since joining Dayton on August 4th he’s pitched in 3 games and allowed just 1 hit in 7.0 innings while striking out 7 and walking 5.
The Daytona Tortugas were postponed
Doubleheader on Friday.
The ACL Reds won 6-5 in 6. Box Score
- Ariel Almonte went 0-1 with 3 walks.
- Leonardo Balcazar went 2-4 with a steal (11) and a run.
- Cam Collier went 1-3 with a walk and a run.
- Yerlin Confidan (MiLB rehab) went 1-3 with a walk, double, and a run.
- Rece Hinds (MiLB rehab) went 0-1 with 2 walks, a steal, and a run.
- Victor Acosta went 0-1 with 2 walks, a run, and an RBI.
- Cade Hunter went 0-1 with a walk, run, and an RBI.
- Wencer Inirio walked 2 times and had an RBI.
- Vladimir Davila allowed 1 earned in 2.0 innings.
- Easton Sikorski threw a shutout inning with 2 strikeouts.
- Zach Maxwell threw a shutout inning with 2 strikeouts.
The game was shortened by rain to just 6.0 innings. The Reds walked 13 times, were hit by 2 other pitches, and struck out just 4 times in the game. They also made four errors in the game, keeping the Cubs in the game until the end.
Leonardo Balcazar picked up 2 more hits and is now hitting .326/.417/.492 on the season in 39 games.
Cam Collier is hitting .333/.478/.500 with 4 walks and 4 strikeouts through 6 games.
The DSL Reds game was suspended by rain
8/19 Game Preview
|Team||Record||Time (ET)||Probable||Box Score||Listen||Watch|