The Cincinnati Reds had two different prospects named the player of the week in their league for their performances last week. Blake Dunn got the nod for the Double-A Southern League (I had already written about him on Monday, so I just added onto that piece that he had won the award). Connor Phillips picked up the award for his start last week in the International League.
This is the third time this year that Phillips has won the award. Last month he won it in back-to-back weeks right before he was promoted to Triple-A Louisville. In his 4th start for the Bats, Phillips faced off at home against the Columbus Clippers. And it was a heck of a start, too. The 22-year-old right-handed starter struck out 11 batters and had two walks in 7.0 shutout innings. Phillips walked two batters in the 1st inning of the game before picking up his first strikeout. He locked in from there and put together one of his best starts of the season.
After struggling in his first start on June 30th with Louisville (1.2IP, 2ER, 5BB, 1K), Connor Phillips has turned things around and been quite good. He’s made three starts since then and allowed three runs in 16.0 innings (1.69 ERA) while giving up just 12 hits, walking seven batters, and he’s struck out 22.
Here are the other Players of the Week this season from the farm system:
- Andrew Abbott – Southern League – April 10-16
- Blake Dunn – Midwest League – April 24-30
- Noelvi Marte – Southern League – May 1-7
- Matt McLain – International League – May 1-7
- Noelvi Marte – Southern League – May 16-21
- Tommy Eveld – Southern League – May 22-28
- Christian Encarnacion-Strand – International League – June 5-11
- Connor Phillips – Southern League – June 5-11
- Connor Phillips – Southern League – June 12-18
- Rece Hinds – Southern League – June 12-18
- Esmith Pineda – Arizona Complex League – June 26 – July 2
- Brooks Crawford – Midwest League – July 3-9
- Blake Dunn – Southern League – July 17-23
- Connor Phillips – International League – July 17-23