Blake Dunn hit two home runs to put his season total at 20 in Chattanooga’s loss, Justice Thompson had two hits for Dayton, and Cam Collier had two hits and two runs batted in for Daytona.
It’s a free Patreon preview day! If you are interested in getting emailed every day during the season with additional game notes and a rundown on how the Cincinnati Reds Top 25 Prospects performed (along with other perks) you can sign up to support the site through Patreon and get all of that for a few bucks a month. If that’s something that sounds interesting you can get more information here.
The Louisville Bats lost 6-1. Box Score
- Alejo Lopez went 1-4.
- Jason Vosler went 1-3 with a walk, double, and a run.
- Jhonny Pereda went 1-3.
- Jacob Hurtubise went 1-2 with a walk.
- Tony Santillan threw a perfect inning with 2 strikeouts.
- Chasen Shreve threw a perfect inning with a strikeout.
Jacob Hurtubise picked up another hit and a walk as he continued to rack up hits in August. Between his 21 games in Chattanooga and Louisville he’s gone 20-61 (.328) with 19 walks and just 12 strikeouts.
Top Pitch Velocity: Tony Santillan – 97.0 MPH (strike)
Top Exit Velocity: Stuart Fairchild – 103.8 MPH (flyout)
Furthest Hit Baseball: Matt Reynolds – 338 feet (flyout)
The Chattanooga Lookouts lost 6-5 in 10. Box Score
- Blake Dunn went 2-5 with 2 home runs (20) and 3 RBI.
- Tyler Callihan went 2-4 with a double, steal, run, and a walk.
- Alex McGarry went 3-5 with a double and a steal (14).
- James Free went 1-5 with a run and an RBI.
- Michael Trautwein went 1-5 with a double.
- Ivan Johnson went 1-5 with a steal (20).
- Nick Northcut went 1-3 with an RBI.
- Carson Spiers allowed 2 runs in 5.0 innings with 2 walks and 8 strikeouts.
- Vin Timpanelli threw 2.0 shutout innings with a walk and 2 strikeouts.
Blake Dunn extended his hitting streak to 12 games and he did so with two homers. He has five home runs, four doubles, and a triple during the streak. He’s now hitting .323/.424/.528 on the season with 17 doubles, 4 triples, 20 home runs, and 47 steals. If he can pick up three more stolen bases this season he will be just the 2nd player in Reds minor league history (full data goes back to 1960) to hit 20 home runs and steal 50 bases in the same season. Gary Redus accomplished that back in 1982 while playing for Indianapolis in Triple-A.
Tyler Callihan went 0-3 with 2 walks in his first game after being promoted to Chattanooga. He’s gone 8-15 with four doubles and four walks since.
With three more hits on Sunday, Alex McGarry raised his average to .338 in August. He hit .360 in July. He hit .324 in June. After a tough start to the year he’s been crushing the ball over the last three months.
Carson Spiers has 65 strikeouts and 20 walks since the start of July, covering 48.0 innings. He’s allowed 38 hits in that span and has posted an ERA of 3.00.
The Dayton Dragons lost 4-0. Box Score
- Edwin Arroyo went 1-4.
- Carlos Jorge went 1-4.
- Cade Hunter went 1-3 and was hit by a pitch.
- Justice Thompson went 2-4.
- Mat Nelson went 1-3.
- Hayden Jones went 1-1.
- Braxton Roxby threw 1.1 hitless innings with 3 strikeouts.
- Zach Maxwell threw 2.0 hitless innings with a walk and 4 strikeouts.
- Myles Gayman threw a perfect inning with 3 strikeouts.
After his appearance on May 9th, Braxton Roxby’s ERA was 9.00. He had allowed 11 earned runs in 11.0 innings to that point on the season. Since then he’s pitched in 27 games, thrown 40.1 innings, and allowed 7 runs (1.56 ERA).
Zach Maxwell allowed four runs in 0.2 innings on June 4th. Since then he’s thrown 36.0 innings and allowed 9 earned runs (2.25 ERA) with 22 hits allowed, 1 home run, 20 walks, and 58 strikeouts.
The Daytona Tortugas lost 6-4 in 10. Box Score
- Johnny Ascanio went 1-3 with a walk and a run.
- Cam Collier went 2-4 with a double and 2 RBI.
- Ethan O’Donnell went 2-4 with a triple, walk, and a run.
- Yassel Pino went 1-5 with a double, run, and an RBI.
- Jack Moss went 0-1 with 2 walks.
- Yerlin Confidan went 1-4 with a double and an RBI.
- Johnathan Harmon allowed a run in 4.0 innings with 4 strikeouts.
- Brody Jessee threw 3.0 shutout innings with a walk and 3 strikeouts.
After taking a 4-3 lead in the top of the 10th, Daytona gave up a walk-off 3-run homer without recording an out in the bottom of the 10th.
Cam Collier’s hot August had slowed down a tad over the last week, but he closed out the series against Fort Myers with two more hits. He’s hitting .341/.440/.500 in August with 25 RBI. He only had 35 RBI before August (78 games).
Ethan O’Donnell extended his hit streak to five games, with four of those games being multi-hit games. He didn’t have an extra-base hit in his first 13 professional games. He’s now had one in three straight games.
Johnathan Harmon had another quality performance in August. He’s allowed just one run in 12.0 innings (0.75 ERA) this month to go along with four walks and 13 strikeouts.
Top Pitch Velocity: Brody Jessee – 97.4 MPH (strike)
Top Exit Velocity: Cam Collier – 105.8 MPH (lineout)
Furthest Hit Baseball: Cam Collier – 378 feet (sac fly)
Top 25 Prospects Rundown
8/27 Game Preview
|Team||Record||Time (ET)||Probable||Box Score||Listen||Watch|