4/19 Game Review
Louisville lost 10-4. Box Score
- Kristopher Negron went 2-4 with a walk, double and 2 runs.
- Denis Phipps went 1-3 with a walk, HR (2) and 3 RBI.
- Mike Costanzo went 2-4.
Andrew Brackman struggled again, giving up 5 runs in 4 innings with 5 walks and 2 home runs allowed. The Mud Hens were up 8-0 before Louisville was able to get on the board, so the game was never in doubt.
Postgame article from BatsBaseball.com.
Pensacola lost 4-3. Box Score
- Didi Gregorius went 2-3 with a run and HBP.
- Ryan LaMarre went 2-4 with a walk.
- Joel Guzman went 2-4 with a run.
- Yordanys Perez went 1-4 with a double and RBI.
- Mark Fleury went 1-2 with a walk and RBI.
- Miguel Rojas went 1-2.
- JC Sulbaran allowed 3 earned (4 total) in 6 innings with a walk and 11 strikeouts.
- Justin Freeman threw a perfect inning of relief with a strikeout.
- Clayton Tanner threw a hitless inning with a walk.
- Donnie Joseph threw a scoreless 9th with a walk and strikeout.
Didi Gregorius extended his hitting streak to 8 games. He now has 23 hits on the season and they are all singles. That is interestingly impressive. JC Sulbaran put up big strikeout numbers, but gave up two home runs in the game that came back to bite him as he took the loss. On the season he has a 2.65 ERA, 17 innings, 6 walks and 21 strikeouts. Clayton Tanner and Donnie Joseph are both sporting perfect ERA’s.
Bakersfield won 8-7. Box Score
- Billy Hamilton went 2-4 with a walk and a steal (12).
- Devin Lohman went 1-2 with a triple, 3 walks and 3 runs.
- Donald Lutz went 4-5 with 2 doubles, an RBI and 3 runs.
- Juan Duran went 1-4 with an RBI.
- Stephen Hunt went 1-4 with a double, walk and 2 RBI.
- Travis Mattair went 1-3 with a walk, HR (4) and 2 RBI.
- Brooks Pinckard threw 1.1 perfect innings with 2 strikeouts.
- Wilkin De La Rosa threw 2 innings with an unearned run.
- Brian Pearl threw a perfect 9th inning with a strikeout.
The Blaze scored a run in the bottom of the 9th to pull out the win. Donald Lutz began the inning with a single and followed it up with a steal. An intentional walk was then followed by two unintentional walks (Mattair and Vidal) to bring Lutz home for the game winning run. Billy Hamilton is hitting .396 after his 2-4 performance and Devin Lohman and Donald Lutz both found themselves over .300 after the game.
Dayton lost 5-4 in 13 innings. Box Score
- Theo Bowe went 1-4 with a triple and RBI.
- Ryan Wright went 3-4 with a double, walk, steal (3) and RBI.
- Juan Silva went 2-5 with a double, walk and a run.
- Kyle Waldrop went 2-5 with a triple, RBI and a run.
- Junior Arias went 2-4 with an RBI and a run.
- Stalin Gerson allowed 3 runs in 6.1 innings with a walk and 6 strikeouts.
- Kyle McMyne threw 2 shutout innings with 2 strikeouts.
- Dan Jensen allowed an unearned run (though he was the one who made the error) in 3 innings with 2 strikeouts.
The final run was scored in the top of the 13th on a crazy play. With 2 outs and a runner on first base there was a pop up about 10 feet up the 3B line in fair play. Jensen and Vicioso (catcher) both came to the ball and nearly collided, but Jensen took charge and dropped an easy pop up. Vicioso then picked up the ball and fired it to third to try and get the runner, but the ball went into left field. The left fielder then gunned it home to try and get the runner and threw it to the backstop. The Dragons couldn’t get a runner around in the bottom of the inning. Here are some quick notes on some things I saw: Theo Bowe is one of the 10 fastest players in baseball, though I knew that already some plays he had last night re-affirmed it. Junior Arias can crush a baseball when he gets into it. His swing reminds me a bit of Alfonso Soriano. Arias also has an absolute rifle of an arm, but his mechanics aren’t good and it could lead to plenty of throwing errors if it goes uncorrected. Robert Maddox can flat out pick it at first base. He saved Arias of two errors, which would have made four for him on the night. Kyle McMyne may turn into a pretty darn good reliever. Don’t forget that the games tonight and Saturday are available for free online, so check the Game Preview below for the link. Former minor league Matt Klinker will be doing some of the commentary on the game for the tv/online broadcast with Tom Nichols.
Postgame article from DaytonDragons.com.
|Team||1st half||2nd half||Time||Probable||Box Score||Listen Live||Watch Live|