The season is over for the Daytona Tortugas after they won their final game of the year on Sunday to finish 60-60. In that game Jose Torres went 3-5 with a run and an RBI. It capped off a big final week of the year for the shortstop, and for his efforts he was awarded the Player of the Week honors in the Low-A Southeast.
The Cincinnati Reds 3rd round draft pick from 2021 have four multi-hit games on the week, going 10-23 against Palm Beach. Over his six games he hit .435/.440/.913 with a walk, three strikeouts, a double, two triples, two home runs, five runs scored, and he drove in eight runs. Torres even added a stolen base for good measure.
Here’s some video highlights from the week that was for Jose Torres:
That final week put a cap on an impressive debut season for Jose Torres. When he was drafted the scouting reports praised his ability with the glove with many reports noting he was the best defensive shortstop in the draft. Many of the same reports questioned his bat and wondered how much he would hit. While it’s just about a month-and-a-half’s worth of games, Torres did all that he could to silence the doubters. In his 28 games played the 21-year-old went out and hit .333/.387/.590 with 10 walks, 19 strikeouts, four doubles, four triples, and five home runs between the ACL Reds (3 games) and Daytona Tortugas (25 games).
Player of the Week winners in the Cincinnati Reds Farm System in 2021
- Jose Torres – September 13-19 – Daytona
- Eduardo Salazar – August 16-22 – Dayton
- Allan Cerda – August 2-August 8 – Daytona
- Jose Barrero – July 26-August 1 – Louisville
- Elkyn Chirinos – July 26-August 1 – DSL Reds
- Graham Ashcraft – May 31-June 6, June 21-27 – Dayton/Chattanooga
- Carson Spiers – June 7-13, July 19-25 – Dayton
- Nick Lodolo – May 17-May 23 – Chattanooga
- Hunter Greene – May 10-May16 – Chattanooga
- Brian Rey – May 4-9, May 10-16 – Dayton
- Lyon Richardson – May 4-May 9 – Dayton