The Cincinnati Reds had three different players take home honors for the top player in their league for their performance last week. Blake Dunn and Teddy Stankiewicz were the player and pitcher of the week for the Chattanooga Lookouts in the Double-A Southern League. Ethan O’Donnell took home the player of the week honors for the Daytona Tortugas in the Single-A Florida State League.
Cincinnati selected Ethan O’Donnell out of the University of Virginia in the 6th round this past summer. He spent about a week playing in games with the Arizona Complex League Reds before joining Daytona three weeks ago. After playing every other game or so for the first two weeks, O’Donnell played in five of the six games in the series at Fort Myers and he took full advantage of it.
In those five games he picked up a hit in each of them. He also had three extra-base hits, three runs batted in, three runs scored, and a walk. O’Donnell would wind up 10-20 in the series, hitting .500/.524/.700 for the week. The outfielder only struck out twice during the week.
I noted this over on Patreon on Sunday, but Ethan O’Donnell didn’t have an extra-base hit in his first 13 games as a professional. Then he went out and picked up one in each of the three games between Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Here are the other Players of the Week this season from the farm system:
- Andrew Abbott – Southern League – April 10-16
- Blake Dunn – Midwest League – April 24-30
- Noelvi Marte – Southern League – May 1-7
- Matt McLain – International League – May 1-7
- Noelvi Marte – Southern League – May 16-21
- Tommy Eveld – Southern League – May 22-28
- Christian Encarnacion-Strand – International League – June 5-11
- Connor Phillips – Southern League – June 5-11
- Connor Phillips – Southern League – June 12-18
- Rece Hinds – Southern League – June 12-18
- Esmith Pineda – Arizona Complex League – June 26 – July 2
- Brooks Crawford – Midwest League – July 3-9
- Blake Dunn – Southern League – July 17-23
- Connor Phillips – International League – July 17-23
- Blake Dunn – Southern League – August 21-27
- Teddy Stankiewicz – Southern League – August 21-27
- Ethan O’Donnell – Florida State League – August 21-27