Last week saw the Cincinnati Reds have two players named the player of the week in their respective league with Jose Acuna taking the honors for Pitcher of the Week in the Florida State League and Tyler Callihan being named as the Player of the Week in the Midwest League. This week the Reds only get one player awarded, but it was a big game from Christian Roa that earned him the Southern League Pitcher of the Week award.
Wednesday marked just the second start in Double-A for Christian Roa and he took it to the Birmingham Barons in their home ballpark. Roa, the Reds 2nd round pick in the 2020 Major League Baseball draft, gave up just one hit – a 2-out soft line drive into left field for a single in the 5th inning – while walking a batter, giving up no runs in 6.0 innings, and he struck out eight.
That outing just picked up where he began his Double-A time when he allowed a run in 5.0 innings on August 31st against the Pensacola Blue Wahoos. In that outing Roa gave up just three hits, walked two batters, and struck out six. Two starts for the Lookouts, four hits, three walks, one run in 11.0 innings, and 14 strikeouts is a good way to start out at a new level after being promoted.
There have been 12 other players that have been named as player of the week for their league this season:
- Matt McLain – Southern League Player of the Week – April 11-17
- Sam Benschoter – Florida State League Pitcher of the Week – May 2-8
- Joe Boyle – Midwest League Pitcher of the Week – May 23-29
- Ruben Ibarra – Florida State League Player of the Week – June 6-12
- Leonardo Balcazar – Arizona Complex League Player of the Week – June 27-July3
- Elly De La Cruz – Midwest League Player of the Week – July 4-10
- Robert Dugger – International League Pitcher of the Week – July 25-31
- Spencer Stockton – Southern League Pitcher of the Week – July 25-31
- Yassel Pino – Florida State League Player of the Week – August 15-21
- Ariel Almonte – Arizona Complex League Player of the Week – August 15-21
- Jose Acuna – Florida State League Pitcher of the Week – August 29-September 4
- Tyler Callihan – Midwest League Player of the Week – August 29-September 4