For the second straight week a Daytona Tortugas was awarded with league honors. Allan Cerda got the nod this past week for Player of the Week. Last week pitcher Bryce Bonnin got honored as the Pitcher of the Month for July. Cerda is also the third Reds prospect to be named Player/Pitcher of the Week in the last two weeks as Jose Barrero and Elkyn Chirinos both got honored last week in their respective leagues.
The Daytona Tortugas have had a lot of players on hot streaks over the last three weeks. Allan Cerda has been on perhaps the hottest run, and last week he took it to the next level. In the six games that he played in last week, the outfielder hit .348/.429/.913. That came along with two doubles, a triple, three home runs, six runs scored, seven runs batted in, and three walks.
Video from May 8th
Since July 17th, a span covering 20 games, Allan Cerda has hit .343/.471/.687 with 12 extra-base hits. That run has boosted his OPS on the season to .857. He’s only hitting .234 on the season, but he’s walked 27 times and been hit by 13 pitches and that’s helped boost his on-base percentage to .362. The 26 extra-base hits in 56 games has also led to a .495 slugging percentage on the year.
Player of the Week winners in the Cincinnati Reds Farm System in 2021
- Allan Cerda – August 2-August 8 – Daytona
- Jose Barrero – July 26-August 1 – Louisville
- Elkyn Chirinos – July 26-August 1 – DSL Reds
- Graham Ashcraft – May 31-June 6, June 21-27 – Dayton/Chattanooga
- Carson Spiers – June 7-13, July 19-25 – Dayton
- Nick Lodolo – May 17-May 23 – Chattanooga
- Hunter Greene – May 10-May16 – Chattanooga
- Brian Rey – May 4-9, May 10-16 – Dayton
- Lyon Richardson – May 4-May 9 – Dayton